IPA also reports that U.S. IT technical employee distributions are almost the reverse of the Japanese distributions. Only 29% of the U.S.’s IT technical employees are located in IT service sector firms with the remaining 71% in user firms including software startups. This means that the bulk of software personnel in the U.S. are much better positioned to create software innovation.

 同時にIPAは米国におけるIT技術者の配属は日本のほぼ逆であると報告している。米国においては、29%のIT技術者がITサービスセクターに配属され、残りの71%はユーザー企業あるいはスタートアップに所属している。このことは、米国のソフトウエア人材の多くに、ソフトウエアイノベーションを創造するポジションが与えられていることを示す。

Yes, Japan ranks second or third globally in the size of its software industry and it has an undisputed well-developed IT infrastructure and process capabilities in software development. Yet, we must ask, does this mean for software innovation and its impact on global competitiveness in products and service?

 確かに日本はグローバルなソフトウエアビジネスにおいて2位か3位に付けているし、ITインフラストラクチャはきちんとしているし、開発プロセス能力は高い。しかし、製品やサービスのグローバルな競争力にソフトウエアが寄与しているのかについては問い直さなければならない。

可能性を生かしていない日本

Selected findings from the national rankings produced by the World Economic Forum in its Global Information Technology Report 2015 are revealing. Japan ranks 24th on venture capital availability; 20th on importance of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to government vision; 27th on government success in ICT promotion; 14th on impact of ICT on new services and products; 39th on impact of ICT’s on new organizational models; 63rd on knowledge intensive jobs as a percentage of the labor force; 24th on impact of ICT’s on access to basic services; and lastly 25th on ICT use and government efficiency.

 世界経済フォーラムの『グローバルITレポート2015』の中で言及されている国際比較をいくつか見てみたい。以下は日本の順位である。

・ベンチャーキャピタルの入手性では24位
・政府ビジョンにおけるICTの重要性では20位
・政府によるICTのプロモーションについては27位
・新製品やサービスへのICTの影響度については14位
・ICTの新組織モデルに関しては39位
・労働人口における知的労働ジョブの割合で63位
・基本サービスへのアクセスにおけるICTの影響で24位
・政府におけるICTの有効な活用では25位

In summary, we see that Japan is an economy with an enormous capability for software innovation but one which is falling far short of executing and optimizing that ability to produce software innovation leading to more globally competitive products and services.

 まとめよう。日本は経済においてソフトウエアイノベーションを起こせる能力がありながら、世界で競争できる製品とサービスの開発に結びつく活動をしていないし、その力を最適化していない。

My short note this time is my proposition on why Japan has not been able to get fruition from what it has. I’ll continue to disclose what I think. What I do expect is the more will be discussed on this issue among the Japanese. Please send your thoughts to the ITPro editor team at Nikkei BP.

 今回の短文は問題提起である。日本が本来持っている力をなぜ発揮できないのか、私なりの見解をおって述べていきたい。私が期待するのは、日本の方々がこの問題についてもっと議論することである。ぜひITpro編集部に皆さんの意見を送っていただきたい。
Robert E.Cole
Professor Emeritus, University of California, Berkeley
Robert E.Cole Professor Emeritus Robert E Cole is a long term student of Japanese work organizations. He served on the faculty of the University of Michigan in the Dept. of Sociology and School of Business Administration. At this time, his research focused on product quality in the U.S. and Japanese Auto Industries. In the 1980s, he served as Director of the Center for Japanese Studies and Executive Director of The U.S-Japan Auto study sponsored by Toyota and GM with participation by other auto firms as well. In 1990, he moved to the Univ. of California, Berkeley to the Haas School of Business Administration to begin his studies of the IT industry, first in Silicon Valley and then in Japan. He has published a number of articles on this subject including most recently (with Nakata Yoshifumi), "The Japanese Software Industry: "What Went Wrong and What Can We Learn From It?" California Management Review, Winter 2014.

この先は会員の登録が必要です。有料会員(月額プラン)は申し込み初月無料!

日経 xTECHには有料記事(有料会員向けまたは定期購読者向け)、無料記事(登録会員向け)、フリー記事(誰でも閲覧可能)があります。有料記事でも、登録会員向け配信期間は登録会員への登録が必要な場合があります。有料会員と登録会員に関するFAQはこちら