Taisei Completes Building Self-sustained With Solar Power

2014/06/24 21:45
Kenji Kaneko, Nikkei BP CleanTech Institute
Print Page

Taisei Corp announced June 16, 2014, that it has completed the construction of "ZEB Verification Building (ZEB: zero energy building)," whose annual primary energy balance becomes zero, on the site of its technical center in Totsuka Ward, Yokohama City, Japan.

At the ZEB Verification Building, Taisei reduces annual energy consumption by 75%, compared with normal office buildings, by developing new systems and efficiently combining existing technologies to save energy consumption substantially. On the other hand, the remaining 25% will be generated by the "power-generating exterior wall unit," which uses organic thin-film solar cells, in the aim of realizing a net zero balance of energy.

Many existing ZEBs in and outside Japan realize a net zero balance of energy by using a low rise building whose energy consumption is small or a large area of land in a suburban area and intaking energy generated outside the building. On the other hand, the ZEB Verification Building is aimed at realizing a net zero balance of energy with its ultra-low power consumption and the power generation facility of the building. Taisei defines it as a verification model of the "urban ZEB," which enables to realize a ZEB in a small area of land in an urban area.

(Continue to the next page)