Samsung Electronics Co Ltd of Korea announced an eye-catching laser printer and a multifunction printer in August 2007. The "SCX-4501K" multifunction printer is only 16.5cm thick. Just as the company's "Bordeaux" LCD TV lineup uses a wine glass as a motif, the multifunction printer looks luxurious with its piano black chassis.
Although the printer doesn't support color printing, it is a perfect fit for locations such as executive offices. How did the company reduce the thickness? Or more importantly, how good are Samsung's products? Thinking about these questions, we were dying to take apart the multifunction printer. Considering that this is a product from rapidly growing Samsung, our readers must be curious as well.
Samsung is not planning to release these products in the Japanese market. Luckily, we could arrange a measure to get a multifunction printer having a Korea-based acquaintance purchase one and send it to us via a parcel delivery service. We thought this was the best measure to save both time and money required to have the printer delivered.
It turned out later, however, that the printer costs 330,000 won (approximately ¥42,000) in Korea, which isn't cheap at all. On the other hand, the same product currently sells for roughly US$300 in the US. Is the bullish pricing because Korea is Samsung's home territory?
This multifunction printer is exclusively sold through Apple Inc's "Apple Store" in the US.
In early November 2007, the product arrived at our office safely. We, however, noticed one problem just a day before the day, on which we were planning to break it down. It was when we attempted to see whether or not the printer had any incipient failure...
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] A Series of Stumbles [Part 2]
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] "Looks Like a PS3" [Part 3]
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] No Special Effort to Improve Print Quality [Part 4]
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] 'Oh, I found a Slug!' [Part 5]
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] More Than 70 Blue LEDs on Operating Portion [Part 6]
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] 'It's huge. ...' [Part 7]
- [Breaking Down Samsung's Printer] A Series of Twists for Low Profile [Part 8]